Our offices will be closed 11/24 & 11/25 for Thanksgiving. Please call 866.255.9378 for assistance. X

Do I need a home phone line to activate internet service?

If you are in a federally regulated (ILEC) area, to receive internet service from All West, you must either have a phone line with your internet plan or you can choose one of our Broadband Only plans. However, if you live in a non-regulated (CLEC) area, we do not require a phone plan.